The Jury of the 9th Grand Prix du Disque Frédéric Chopin Record Competition gave its verdict on 11 September 2020 in Warsaw. After assessing 51 one/two CD recordings submitted by 7 record companies, the Jury comprising
Prof. Bronisława Kawalla – chair
Prof. Andrzej Jasiński
Prof. Andrzej Lupa
Prof. Piotr Paleczny
Dr Ewa Sławińska-Dahlig
Prof. Wojciech Świtała
awarded the following prizes and honorary mentions:
Grand Prix du Disque Frédéric Chopin in the category of recordings made on contemporary instruments went to DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON for Seong-Jin Cho – Chopin: Piano Concerto No. 1; Ballades, London Symphony Orchestra, Gianandrea Noseda
Grand Prix du Disque Frédéric Chopin in the category of recordings made on period instruments went to NARODOWY INSTYTUT FRYDERYKA CHOPINA for Janusz Olejniczak – Chopin: 57 Mazurków / Mazurkas [Erard 1849], the Real Chopin series (2CD album)
Grand Prix du Disque Frédéric Chopin in the category of re-released historical recordings went to DUX for Chopin: Songs / Pieśni i piosnki Op. 74, Henryka Januszewska (soprano), Marek Drewnowski (piano)
Special Prize in the category of recordings made on contemporary instruments was awarded to NARODOWY INSTYTUT FRYDERYKA CHOPINA for – Martha Argerich, Mischa Maisky – Chopin: Piano Concerto; Sonata in G minor for piano and cello (Op. 65); Sinfonia Varsovia, Jacek Kaspszyk, the Chopin and his Europe series
Honorary mentions were awarded to NARODOWY INSTYTUT FRYDERYKA CHOPINA for the following recordings:
in the category of recordings made on contemporary instruments
– Maria João Pires – Chopin: Piano Concerto in F minor Op. 21; Nocturnes; Sinfonia Varsovia, Christopher Warren-Green, the Chopin and his Europe series
– Kate Liu – Chopin: Mazurki op. 56; Ballada f-moll, Andante spianato i Wielki Polonez Es-dur, Sonata op. 58, the Chopin Competition series [2 CDs]
in the category of recordings made on period instruments
– Garrick Ohlsson – Chopin: Scherzo in E major, Nocturnes, Mazurkas; Ballade in G minor [Erard 1849], the Real Chopin series
– Dina Yoffe – Chopin: Utwory koncertowe – wersja na jeden fortepian / Concert Works – Version for one piano (Op. 2, 13, 14, 22) [Erard 1849], the Real Chopin series
– Philippe Giusiano – Chopin: Polonezy młodzieńcze, Sonata c-moll op. 4; Wariacje Là ci darem la mano op. 2 [Erard 1849], the Real Chopin series
No honorary mentions were awarded in the category of re-released historical recordings.
The amplification equipment, complete with speakers, was provided by Matrum Lab,a company dealing with technologies which improve the quality of electric power input and audio signals converted in electronic devices.
All provided devices and components use the Imperium Fluxus Electrons (IFE) technology developed by Andrzej Grochowski of Metrum Lab.